I know, such a hipster/trendy thing, avocados. But not really. When I was in San Francisco last year, there was a cute place we stopped for breakfast on our way to the conference that served it, and thinking about it makes me crave it. If you know me, you know my cravings are REAL. Just ask my coworker about the trip I made her take during lunch one day when I wanted banh mi. It’s relentless. And it’s even worse when I’m pregnant.
During my last pregnancy, all I ever wanted was fruits and vegetables, and NO meat. I ate a lot of avocado toast. It’s so simple to make, and the fresh ingredients and you just feel good afterward. Unlike many a waffle, egg and bacon breakfast I’ve had in my years. Seriously, guys, I can’t even write a recipe for this because honestly, it could be anything you want from it. But to throw some ideas out there, here are two that I like making.
Both ways start with the basic setup:
- Toast the bread. This could be anything you want, a slice of baguette, sandwich bread, brioche, what you like you fancy thing you.
- I like to layer sliced avocado on top. A quarter of an avocado per bread usually works for me
- Squeeze lemon to taste over the sliced avocado.
- Then I take a fork and mash it all together with those nice fork marks afterwards. I’m particular, I know.
- Salt and pepper or whatever seasoning you want.
You could leave it at that, or get fancy.
Fancy way numero uno: Sliced grape tomatoes with a drizzle of balsamic glaze. I get my balsamic glaze from Wegmans. See I’m not that fancy. I don’t make it myself.
Fancy way number two: A fried egg over medium. That way when you bite into it, you get that satisfying oozing. You’re welcome.
What other ways do you guys make avocado toast?